US lawmaker denounces China activist jailing
Washington: Senior US lawmaker Nancy Pelosi on Friday criticised China over a 10-year sentence handed to prominent democracy activist Liu Xianbin and urged his immediate release.
Pelosi, the top member of President Barack Obama`s Democratic Party in the House of Representatives, said that the jailing showed a "fundamental disregard for the rule of law and human rights in China”.
"The Chinese government should immediately and unconditionally release Liu Xianbin from prison and heed the calls of the Chinese people for government transparency, an end to corruption and respect for free expression in China," said Pelosi, a longtime critic of Beijing`s human rights record.
Liu, 43, was prosecuted for "inciting subversion of state power" after he published pro-democracy articles online, his wife Chen Mingxian said. He was detained last June.
The sentence came amid an intense crackdown on dissidents in the community country amid the "Jasmine" pro-democracy protests in the Arab world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold
- Handful of vested interests inciting trouble in Kashmir: J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti
- Performance issues led to my ouster as Flipkart CEO, says Sachin Bansal
- 'Delhi earthquake today' trending on social media