US lawmaker denounces China activist jailing
Washington: Senior US lawmaker Nancy Pelosi on Friday criticised China over a 10-year sentence handed to prominent democracy activist Liu Xianbin and urged his immediate release.
Pelosi, the top member of President Barack Obama`s Democratic Party in the House of Representatives, said that the jailing showed a "fundamental disregard for the rule of law and human rights in China”.
"The Chinese government should immediately and unconditionally release Liu Xianbin from prison and heed the calls of the Chinese people for government transparency, an end to corruption and respect for free expression in China," said Pelosi, a longtime critic of Beijing`s human rights record.
Liu, 43, was prosecuted for "inciting subversion of state power" after he published pro-democracy articles online, his wife Chen Mingxian said. He was detained last June.
The sentence came amid an intense crackdown on dissidents in the community country amid the "Jasmine" pro-democracy protests in the Arab world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Security at Olympics "robust", says IOC chief
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS