US lawmaker Michael Grimm in custody, faces charges
New York: US congressman Michael Grimm of New York was taken into custody Monday and charged with fraud, perjury and obstruction of justice, the FBI said.
Grimm, a former FBI agent himself and a second-term Republican from Staten Island, was expected to be arraigned later Monday in federal court.
"As a former FBI agent, Representative Grimm should understand the motto: fidelity, bravery, and integrity. Yet he broke our credo at nearly every turn. In this twenty-count indictment, Representative Grimm lived by a new motto: fraud, perjury, and obstruction," Venizelos said.
"We demand the best from our political leaders. Yet today, we again find ourselves expecting and rightfully wanting more. And as citizens of this great nation we rightfully demand it," the FBI agent said.
The charges were related to business deals regarding a restaurant Grimm owned before he was elected to Congress.
US media reports the charges will include mail fraud and wire fraud.
Grimm, 44, also has been under investigation for about two years for alleged campaign finance violations.
He got into hot water earlier this year after being caught on video tape threatening to throw a reporter off the Capitol balcony.
His lawyer last week said his client asserts his innocence, and that US authorities were conducting a "politically-driven vendetta" against Grimm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP