US lawmaker Michael Grimm in custody, faces charges
New York: US congressman Michael Grimm of New York was taken into custody Monday and charged with fraud, perjury and obstruction of justice, the FBI said.
Grimm, a former FBI agent himself and a second-term Republican from Staten Island, was expected to be arraigned later Monday in federal court.
"As a former FBI agent, Representative Grimm should understand the motto: fidelity, bravery, and integrity. Yet he broke our credo at nearly every turn. In this twenty-count indictment, Representative Grimm lived by a new motto: fraud, perjury, and obstruction," Venizelos said.
"We demand the best from our political leaders. Yet today, we again find ourselves expecting and rightfully wanting more. And as citizens of this great nation we rightfully demand it," the FBI agent said.
The charges were related to business deals regarding a restaurant Grimm owned before he was elected to Congress.
US media reports the charges will include mail fraud and wire fraud.
Grimm, 44, also has been under investigation for about two years for alleged campaign finance violations.
He got into hot water earlier this year after being caught on video tape threatening to throw a reporter off the Capitol balcony.
His lawyer last week said his client asserts his innocence, and that US authorities were conducting a "politically-driven vendetta" against Grimm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune