US lawmaker Michael Grimm in custody, faces charges
New York: US congressman Michael Grimm of New York was taken into custody Monday and charged with fraud, perjury and obstruction of justice, the FBI said.
Grimm, a former FBI agent himself and a second-term Republican from Staten Island, was expected to be arraigned later Monday in federal court.
"As a former FBI agent, Representative Grimm should understand the motto: fidelity, bravery, and integrity. Yet he broke our credo at nearly every turn. In this twenty-count indictment, Representative Grimm lived by a new motto: fraud, perjury, and obstruction," Venizelos said.
"We demand the best from our political leaders. Yet today, we again find ourselves expecting and rightfully wanting more. And as citizens of this great nation we rightfully demand it," the FBI agent said.
The charges were related to business deals regarding a restaurant Grimm owned before he was elected to Congress.
US media reports the charges will include mail fraud and wire fraud.
Grimm, 44, also has been under investigation for about two years for alleged campaign finance violations.
He got into hot water earlier this year after being caught on video tape threatening to throw a reporter off the Capitol balcony.
His lawyer last week said his client asserts his innocence, and that US authorities were conducting a "politically-driven vendetta" against Grimm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31