US lawmakers approve ban on Russian arms exporter
Washington: The US Senate has approved a measure that will end the ties between the Pentagon and Rosoboronexport, Russia`s state-run arms exporter.
Rosoboronexport had provided weapons to the Syrian government.
"The American taxpayer should not be indirectly subsidizing the mass murder of Syrian civilians, especially when there are perfectly good alternatives for purchasing these same arms through US brokers," said Republican Sen. John Cornyn in a statement.
Cornyn authored the amendment as part of the National Defence Authorization Act.
Senators voted on the Cornyn amendment Thursday night. The entire defence authorization bill is scheduled to be voted on by the full Senate next week.
A similar defence appropriations bill, including barring Pentagon dealings with Rosoboronexport, has already passed the US House of Representatives.
Cornyn`s amendment bars the use of American taxpayer funds to purchase goods - including helicopters to be flown in Afghanistan - from Rosoboronexport.
The company manages almost all of Russia`s weapons sales, including supplies that have gone to both Syria and the US.
Through the firm, Russia has reportedly sold more than a billion dollars in weapons to Syria, including four cargo ships full of arms and three dozen combat jets.
Earlier this year the Pentagon announced a deal to purchase 10 helicopters for $171 million for use by the Afghan military.
"Continuing this robust business relationship with Rosoboronexport would continue to undermine US policy on Syria and US efforts to stand with the Syrian people," Cornyn said.
He and other members of Congress have long advocated an end to the weapons deals with Russia.
US President Barack Obama has threatened to veto the defence authorization bill for reasons unrelated to the Russian firm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof