US lawmakers favour full body scan at airports
Washington: US lawmakers favoured a compulsory full body scan of the passengers of all US-bound international flights so as to avoid the incident of a Nigerian national sneaking inside the plane with explosives.
"I would say right now we do need full body scan, especially when you have countries like Nigeria, which have inadequate security, and you have passengers transiting in Amsterdam and coming here," Congressman Peter King told CBS news in an interview.
"There is a brief violation of privacy with the full body scan, but on the other hand we can save thousands of lives," said King, a Republican Congressman, who is a Ranking Member of the House Committee of Homeland Security.
Senator Joe Lieberman, Chairman of Senate Committee on Homeland Security, strongly favoured full body scan.
"Three hundred people could have been killed and untold more on the ground in Michigan if this plane had crashed," Lieberman said referring to the explosive used by the Nigerian al Qaeda suspect in his attempt to blow up a US passenger plane on Christmas day.
"There have been privacy concerns expressed about the use of these whole body imaging devices, but I think those privacy concerns, have to fall in the face of the ability of these machines to detect material like this, explosive on this individual," he told Fox News in an interview.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed