US lawmakers slam Iran for pastor’s death sentence
Tehran: American lawmakers have joined the fight to save an Iranian pastor who has been sentenced to death for refusing to renounce Christianity for Islam.
A resolution sponsored by Joseph Pitts, member of the US House of Representatives from Pennsylvania, denounced Iranian leaders for their ruling of apostasy against Youcef Nadarkhani and called for his immediate release.
“Iran has become more isolated because of their drive for nuclear weapons, and the fundamentalist government has stepped up persecution of religious minorities to deflect criticism,” Fox News quoted Pitts, as saying.
“The persecuted are their own citizens whose only crime is practicing their faith,” he added.
Pitts introduced the measure on Friday and so far has the support of seven other members. Nearly 90 members of Congress previously signed a letter supporting Nadarkhani.
The charge of apostasy, which in Iran carries the death penalty, is levelled at those who abandon their faith.
Nadarkhani was born to a Muslim family and admits that he was introduced to the teachings of Islam, but claims he never accepted the faith.
He was facing execution after being convicted of apostasy in November of 2010, but appealed his conviction all the way up to the Iranian Supreme Court.
Nadarkhani’s execution was delayed amid international pressure on the Iranian regime. At one point Tehran claimed Nadarkhani`s real crime was being a threat to national security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'