US lawmakers urge Obama to impose no-fly zone over Syria
Washington: US lawmakers have pressed President Barack Obama to go beyond supplying Syrian rebels with small arms and to consider imposing a no-fly zone over the war-torn country.
South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said supplying rebels with automatic weapons and ammunition is not enough to stop the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
According to Fox News, Graham said they need to create a no-fly zone, adding that they cannot take air power out of the equation.
Obama has not ruled out imposing a no-fly zone in Syria.
Obama decided on Thursday to arm rebels trying to overthrow Assad, after saying he had enough conclusive evidence that the Syrian strongman had crossed a red line by using chemical weapons on people.
Georgia Republican Senator Saxby Chambliss also said a no-fly zone may be the ultimate tactic that needs to be taken, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider