`US leadership more respected than China`s’
Washington: A new survey shows that American leadership is more respected than China’s in the Asia and Asia-Pacific region.
Among a host of Asian countries that are either members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) or the East Asia Summit (EAS) group, the United States has a median leadership approval of 44 percent, compared to China, which has a median leadership approval of 30 percent, according to a new Gallup poll.
According to Politico, asked whether they approved of the leadership of the United States, majorities in Cambodia (68 percent), Philippines (63 percent), South Korea (57 percent), and Australia (56 percent) approved of American leadership.
While approval ratings for the US in Thailand (44 percent), Malaysia (38 percent) and Vietnam (21 percent) were lower, they were still higher than the disapproval ratings in each country.
Only in Indonesia and India - 32 percent to 34 percent, 16 percent to 17 percent, respectively – was approval outweighed by disapproval.
In eight of the nine countries polled, more respondents approved of American leadership than Chinese leadership. The greatest gap was in Australia, where at 56 percent the American approval rating was 33 percent higher than the rating for China.
The only country to prefer China’s leadership over American leadership was Vietnam, where 22 percent approved of China and 21 percent approved of the United States.
The Gallup poll was taken in 2011 with 3,518 respondents in India and 1,000 adults in Indonesia, Cambodia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Australia, South Korea and Vietnam. The margin of error ranged from a low of plus or minus two percentage points to a high of plus or minus 3.8 percentage points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM