`US leadership more respected than China`s’
Washington: A new survey shows that American leadership is more respected than China’s in the Asia and Asia-Pacific region.
Among a host of Asian countries that are either members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) or the East Asia Summit (EAS) group, the United States has a median leadership approval of 44 percent, compared to China, which has a median leadership approval of 30 percent, according to a new Gallup poll.
According to Politico, asked whether they approved of the leadership of the United States, majorities in Cambodia (68 percent), Philippines (63 percent), South Korea (57 percent), and Australia (56 percent) approved of American leadership.
While approval ratings for the US in Thailand (44 percent), Malaysia (38 percent) and Vietnam (21 percent) were lower, they were still higher than the disapproval ratings in each country.
Only in Indonesia and India - 32 percent to 34 percent, 16 percent to 17 percent, respectively – was approval outweighed by disapproval.
In eight of the nine countries polled, more respondents approved of American leadership than Chinese leadership. The greatest gap was in Australia, where at 56 percent the American approval rating was 33 percent higher than the rating for China.
The only country to prefer China’s leadership over American leadership was Vietnam, where 22 percent approved of China and 21 percent approved of the United States.
The Gallup poll was taken in 2011 with 3,518 respondents in India and 1,000 adults in Indonesia, Cambodia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Australia, South Korea and Vietnam. The margin of error ranged from a low of plus or minus two percentage points to a high of plus or minus 3.8 percentage points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe