‘US leads in gun violence, gun deaths’
Beijing: The United States is the leader among the world`s developed countries in gun violence and gun deaths, according to a report on the US human rights record released on Friday.
The United States prioritizes the right to keep and bear arms over the protection of citizens` lives and personal security and exercises lax firearm possession control, causing rampant gun ownership, the report said.
The State Council Information Office of the People’s Republic of China released the Human Rights Record of the United States in 2011 in response to the Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2011 issued by the US State Department on May 24.
According to the online edition of the Foreign Policy on January 9, 2011, the US people hold between 35 percent and 50 percent of the world`s civilian-owned guns, with every 100 people having 90 guns, the report said.
According to a Gallup poll in October 2011, 47 percent of American adults reported that they had a gun. That was an increase of 6 percentage points from a year ago and the highest Gallup had recorded since 1993, the report indicated.
According to the Foreign Policy report, over 30,000 Americans die every year from gun violence and another 200,000 Americans are estimated to be injured each year due to guns.
Besides, according to statistics released by the US Department of Justice, among the 480,760 robbery cases and 188,380 rape and sexual assault cases in 2010, the rates of victimization involving firearms were 29 percent and 7 percent, respectively, the report said.
The report pointed out that the United States has mighty strength in human, financial and material resources to exert effective control over violent crimes. However, its society is chronically suffering from violent crimes and its citizens`` lives, properties and personal security are in lack of proper protection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Finance Ministry allots Rs 2,000 cr extra budgetary grant for Chardham
- China builds massive seaplane: State media
- 'Aam Aadmi Party has anti-women character'
- WATCH: 4 wickets in 6 balls - When Ajit Agarkar bowled devastating last over against Australia
- Watch: Special 'Justice League' Comic-Con 2016 footage will give you goosebumps!