US legislation seeks to condemn Gurdwara shooting
Washington: Congressman Paul Ryan, the Republican vice presidential candidate, has introduced a bi-partisan legislation in the US House of Representatives condemning shooting inside a Gurdwara in Wisconsin last month that killed six Sikh worshippers.
Co-sponsored by Congressman Ed Royce, Co-Chair of the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans, the legislation was introduced by Paul on Monday in the House of Representatives on the very first day after it returned from its long summer recess.
"I`m proud to join Rep Paul Ryan as an original cosponsor of bipartisan legislation denouncing this act of terror against the Sikh community in Wisconsin. Since the tragic events that unfolded in early August, I have had a number of opportunities to visit Sikh temples across Orange County. This attack shook the Sikh community throughout the United States," Royce said in a statement.
"We must educate the public, letting them know of the commitment to service, equality, and tolerance embedded in Sikhism," he said.
The resolution might not offer consolation to those haunted by that violent attack, but it does display the commitment to religious tolerance, Royce said.
"Because the attack took place while Congress was out of session, today is the first opportunity to introduce this resolution. I will press to quickly bring the bill to the floor for a vote," Royce said.
Ryan, who is busy campaigning, was not immediately available for comment. Condemning the "senseless attack" at the Sikh Temple on August 05, the resolution offers condolences to the families, friends, and loved ones who were killed in the attack and honours the selfless, dedicated service of the emergency response teams and law enforcement officials who responded to the attack.
The resolution remains hopeful, that the citizens of this country will come together, united in a shared desire for peace and justice while standing with the Sikh community to grieve the loss of life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi