US lifts ban on Afghanistan`s Kam Air
Moscow: The US has lifted a ban on Afghanistan`s biggest private airline Kam Air after the Afghan government pledged an investigation into US claims of opium smuggling by the carrier, the NATO-led ISAF said.
Last month, the US military barred Kam Air from its list of potential contractors after accusing it of smuggling large amounts of opium, the Wall Street Journal reported.
The US military claimed Kam Air ferried bulk quantities of opium - the key ingredient in heroin - on civilian flights into Tajikistan, a major regional drug transit route.
"The Afghan government has agreed to conduct a full investigation of Kam Air and, if warranted, to take further action," the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan (ISAF) said in a statement Tuesday.
The US "will support the Afghan government`s investigation by providing evidence and documents as required", ISAF said.
Both the airline and the Afghan authorities denied the accusations last month, asking the US military to provide evidence.
The issue was further discussed at the Afghan foreign ministry between senior officials from the Afghan government and US Forces.
The ban against the airline highlights growing concern on the part of the US and its allies over the thriving heroin trade in Afghanistan, as they prepare to draw down their counter-insurgency operations there.
The UN estimates Afghanistan supplies some 90 percent of the world`s illegal opiates and that, in 2009, it supplied 84 percent of the heroin consumed worldwide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark