US lifts sanctions on former Syrian PM
Washington: The US is lifting sanctions against Syria`s former prime minister after he announced that he is backing rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime.
The Treasury Department says because Riyad Hijab is no longer a senior official in the Syrian government, he will no longer be subject to an asset freeze.
Hijab left his post as prime minister last week and fled to Jordan with his family. He is the highest ranking political figure to defect from Assad`s regime during more than a year of deadly clashes between Syrian government forces and rebels.
Today, Hijab said Assad`s regime was near collapse. He urged other political and military leaders to join the rebels.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!