US lifts sanctions on former Syrian PM
Washington: The US is lifting sanctions against Syria`s former prime minister after he announced that he is backing rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime.
The Treasury Department says because Riyad Hijab is no longer a senior official in the Syrian government, he will no longer be subject to an asset freeze.
Hijab left his post as prime minister last week and fled to Jordan with his family. He is the highest ranking political figure to defect from Assad`s regime during more than a year of deadly clashes between Syrian government forces and rebels.
Today, Hijab said Assad`s regime was near collapse. He urged other political and military leaders to join the rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’