US lifts sanctions on former Syrian PM
Washington: The US is lifting sanctions against Syria`s former prime minister after he announced that he is backing rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime.
The Treasury Department says because Riyad Hijab is no longer a senior official in the Syrian government, he will no longer be subject to an asset freeze.
Hijab left his post as prime minister last week and fled to Jordan with his family. He is the highest ranking political figure to defect from Assad`s regime during more than a year of deadly clashes between Syrian government forces and rebels.
Today, Hijab said Assad`s regime was near collapse. He urged other political and military leaders to join the rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- GSGMC demands to remove DU book's chapter calling Bhagat Singh a terrorist
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video