US lifts sanctions on investment in Myanmar
Washington: The Obama administration has lifted sanctions that were imposed on Myanmar, giving American companies permission to invest there.
“Today, the United States is easing restrictions to allow US companies to responsibly do business in Burma,” President Barack Obama said in a statement.
He also praised the country for making "significant progress along the path to democracy”.
“Easing sanctions is a strong signal of our support for reform, and will provide immediate incentives for reformers and significant benefits to the people of Burma,” Obama added.
According to The Telegraph, Obama, however, remained concerned about the lack of investment transparency and the military`s role in the Myanmar economy.
He made clear that US firms would be required to make detailed disclosures on their dealings there.
The moves fulfils a May 17 pledge made by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to relax American restrictions on investment and financial services in recognition of Myanmar`s reforms over the last 15 months as it emerges from nearly half-a-century of authoritarian military rule.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!