US looking at Chinese role in Asia Pacific: Pentagon
Washington: The US is closely looking at the
increasing Chinese role in Asia Pacific as the region is
crucial for it and its allies for trade, a top Pentagon
official has said.
"I think we are looking at China. We`re looking at -- and
its role in the -- in the Asian area, Asian Pacific in
particular," Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen
James Cartwright, told reporters at Pentagon.
"We are looking not as part of this activity so much as
part of other activities about our relationships in the
Pacific, about our basing constructs, our posture and trying
to make sure that we are aligned to keep our interests viable
and our access to the region for trade, for commerce, etc, on
a footing that is competitive and allows both us and our
allies to continue to use the lines of communication that are
available out there and have free access to them," he said.
The General said there are challenges as the competition
for resources that lie on the ocean bed and underneath is
"Those are all going to be issues that are coming both
now and in the future and that we want to be well postured to
at least ensure free access under international norms as they
currently exist," he said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!