US looking for new round of sanctions against Iran
Washington: The United States is looking for a new round of sanctions against Iran and is currently holding discussions with its international partners in this regard, the Obama administration has said.
"We are continuing to move forward with prospective sanctions and I would expect you will see this advance over the next several weeks," Assistant Secretary of State for
Public Affairs PJ Crowley said.
The US is looking for countries and companies to be supportive as America and its allies try to find the right formula to put economic and political pressure on Iran to change its course, he added.
"We have had a wide range of conversations with our counterparts within P-5+1 process as we have discussed ideas for putting additional pressure on Iran. We have centred on various industries and tried to call to the attention of companies in the energy sector, in the financial sector, others that if they choose to do business with Iran, it can have commercial implications," Crowley said.
Noting that the Obama administration is continuing with its efforts on a couple of fronts, he said: "One is, obviously, there are existing international and national sanctions that apply to Iran, and we continue to find ways to enforce what exists. We are looking at a new round of sanctions and talking to countries about how to best do this."
Hoping to achieve international consensus in this regard, Crowley said: "We would expect coming out of the UN Security Council, once we get to that point, that we would look for companies to step up, countries to step up, and discourage the kind of economic activity you mentioned."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement