US looking for new round of sanctions against Iran
Washington: The United States is looking for a new round of sanctions against Iran and is currently holding discussions with its international partners in this regard, the Obama administration has said.
"We are continuing to move forward with prospective sanctions and I would expect you will see this advance over the next several weeks," Assistant Secretary of State for
Public Affairs PJ Crowley said.
The US is looking for countries and companies to be supportive as America and its allies try to find the right formula to put economic and political pressure on Iran to change its course, he added.
"We have had a wide range of conversations with our counterparts within P-5+1 process as we have discussed ideas for putting additional pressure on Iran. We have centred on various industries and tried to call to the attention of companies in the energy sector, in the financial sector, others that if they choose to do business with Iran, it can have commercial implications," Crowley said.
Noting that the Obama administration is continuing with its efforts on a couple of fronts, he said: "One is, obviously, there are existing international and national sanctions that apply to Iran, and we continue to find ways to enforce what exists. We are looking at a new round of sanctions and talking to countries about how to best do this."
Hoping to achieve international consensus in this regard, Crowley said: "We would expect coming out of the UN Security Council, once we get to that point, that we would look for companies to step up, countries to step up, and discourage the kind of economic activity you mentioned."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31