US looks for Asian cooperation on sanctions against Russia
Singapore: The United States is lobbying Asian governments to join in sanctions imposed by Washington and the European Union against Russia over its support for separatist rebels in eastern Ukraine, a senior State Department official said on Wednesday.
The European Union and United States announced further financial measures against Russia on Tuesday, targeting its energy, banking and defence sectors in their strongest action yet.
Now they are looking for backing from Asia, given that Russian trade flows are focused increasingly on that part of the world.
"It is certainly our hope that countries in this region, which includes many significant commercial and financial centres, will join us in putting this kind of pressure on Russia," the official told reporters in Singapore.
He said he had already been to Beijing and Seoul this week, speaking with senior government officials and business leaders about the matter, and would be in Tokyo on Friday.
However, convincing some Asian countries to follow suit could prove difficult. Japan and Australia are the only nations in the region to have imposed sanctions against Russia so far.
China is a key economic and political ally of Russia, and the two countries recently signed a $400 billion gas supply deal.
Financial centre Hong Kong will have to toe the line taken by the mainland Chinese government, while rival banking hub Singapore tends to implement sanctions that are passed by the United Nations - an unlikely event given Russia`s veto power as a UN Security Council member.
India is a major buyer of Russian military hardware.
US Secretary of State John Kerry is in India this week where he is expected to discuss global trade reforms, but it is not clear if he will raise the issue of sanctions.
The US and EU sanctions block several Russian banks from raising long-term debt or equity in the European and US capital markets, meaning they may turn to Asia for finance.
Russia`s Gazprombank recently met with South Korean debt investors in Seoul, with South Korea yet to indicate whether it will introduce sanctions, despite US lobbying efforts.
"The reason we have been engaging in this outreach in this region of the world is because we need to develop a co-ordinated, multinational response to this kind of Russian aggression," the State Department official said.
"MH17 being shot down brought home to the world that this is a global problem."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in