US lottery jackpot tipped scales at USD 656 mn
New York: The record US Mega Millions lottery
jackpot shared among three big winners last week, soared to
USD 656 million -- higher than the USD 640 million earlier
estimated, officials said on Tuesday.
"With sales from all 44 Mega Millions lotteries calculated
and totalled, the final jackpot amount for the Friday, March
30 drawing came to $656 million dollars. That
record-shattering amount was the result of unprecedented sales
in all jurisdictions where Mega Millions is played," the
lottery agency said in a statement.
Millions of Americans lined up hoping to suddenly become
very, very rich despite having only a one-in-176-million
chance of winning.
Winning tickets were purchased in the states of Illinois,
Kansas and Maryland -- among the 42 US states plus the federal
capital Washington, DC and the US Virgin Islands, taking part.
The winning numbers -- 2, 4, 23, 38, 46 with Mega Ball 23
-- were announced at 11:00 pm Friday (0830 IST Saturday) but
it took another 12 hours for the company to announce that
there were three winners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!