US lottery jackpot tipped scales at USD 656 mn
New York: The record US Mega Millions lottery
jackpot shared among three big winners last week, soared to
USD 656 million -- higher than the USD 640 million earlier
estimated, officials said on Tuesday.
"With sales from all 44 Mega Millions lotteries calculated
and totalled, the final jackpot amount for the Friday, March
30 drawing came to $656 million dollars. That
record-shattering amount was the result of unprecedented sales
in all jurisdictions where Mega Millions is played," the
lottery agency said in a statement.
Millions of Americans lined up hoping to suddenly become
very, very rich despite having only a one-in-176-million
chance of winning.
Winning tickets were purchased in the states of Illinois,
Kansas and Maryland -- among the 42 US states plus the federal
capital Washington, DC and the US Virgin Islands, taking part.
The winning numbers -- 2, 4, 23, 38, 46 with Mega Ball 23
-- were announced at 11:00 pm Friday (0830 IST Saturday) but
it took another 12 hours for the company to announce that
there were three winners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray