US lottery jackpot tipped scales at USD 656 mn
New York: The record US Mega Millions lottery
jackpot shared among three big winners last week, soared to
USD 656 million -- higher than the USD 640 million earlier
estimated, officials said on Tuesday.
"With sales from all 44 Mega Millions lotteries calculated
and totalled, the final jackpot amount for the Friday, March
30 drawing came to $656 million dollars. That
record-shattering amount was the result of unprecedented sales
in all jurisdictions where Mega Millions is played," the
lottery agency said in a statement.
Millions of Americans lined up hoping to suddenly become
very, very rich despite having only a one-in-176-million
chance of winning.
Winning tickets were purchased in the states of Illinois,
Kansas and Maryland -- among the 42 US states plus the federal
capital Washington, DC and the US Virgin Islands, taking part.
The winning numbers -- 2, 4, 23, 38, 46 with Mega Ball 23
-- were announced at 11:00 pm Friday (0830 IST Saturday) but
it took another 12 hours for the company to announce that
there were three winners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next