US man charged in hoax that led to plane`s recall
Philadelphia: A man charged Friday for making a hoax threat that caused a midair explosives scare ending with authorities recalling a Texas-bound plane in mid-air and forcing an unwitting passenger off the plane at gunpoint was apparently involved in a love triangle with the passenger, according to court records.
Kenneth W Smith Jr called police at the Philadelphia airport yesterday morning to report that a passenger heading to Texas was carrying a liquid explosive, authorities said.
Smith admitted he made the call from a payphone to "avenge" his girlfriend, because the passenger had posted a compromising picture of her on Facebook, authorities said.
Officials recalled US Airways Flight 1267 which was about 145 kilometers away to Philadelphia, where the plane was surrounded by law enforcement and passenger Christopher Shell was taken off at gunpoint. Authorities later said he did nothing wrong.
Shell gave officers the name of Smith`s workplace, where he was questioned.
During questioning, Shell told authorities of a feud involving him, his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend "Kenny." Shell had recently traded "hostile messages" on his cellphone with his ex-girlfriend about the situation, according to the affidavit.
Smith, 26, of Philadelphia, was charged with conveying false information that interfered with aviation and using an instrument of commerce the phone to do so.
He was scheduled for an initial appearance in federal court today afternoon. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, a fine of up to USD 250,000 and possible restitution.
Authorities had stressed yesterday that Shell was blameless for the scare. He continued his travel late yesterday to Texas, where he planned to celebrate his 29th birthday with friends and family, but authorities arrested him when he arrived at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.
Texas authorities said Shell had outstanding warrants for two drug-possession charges less than 2 ounces of marijuana and less than 28 grams of a controlled substance. He was jailed today morning on USD 3,000 bond in Collin County near Dallas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets