US man charged over bid to give China defence info
Washington: A US man once employed as a guard at a US consulate in China has been charged with attempting to pass defence information to the government in Beijing, the US Justice Department said on Wednesday.
The new charge came in a superseding indictment for Bryan Underwood, 31, atop previous charges of making false statements to US officials.
According to the Justice Department statement, from about March to August, Underwood "knowingly and unlawfully attempted to communicate photographs and other information relating to the national defence to representatives of the People`s Republic of China (PRC)."
The statement did not specify the city in which Underwood had worked.
Underwood made the attempts "with the intent and reason to believe that these materials would be used to the injury of the United States and to the advantage of a foreign nation," US officials said.
The superseding indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Washington on Wednesday comes after initial charges were made against him on August 31.
Underwood had been scheduled to appear at a status hearing earlier this month, and when he failed to present himself in court, FBI agents located him in Los Angeles and arrested him on September 24.
He now also faces charges of failing to appear in court in accordance with the terms of his release.
If convicted, Underwood faces a maximum potential sentence of life in prison.
"Our national security depends upon our ability to keep our most sensitive information confidential," US attorney Ronald Machen said in a statement, adding his lying to US officials to allegedly cover up his actions was a "betrayal" of US interests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened