US man charged over organs found in storage unit
Pensacola: A former medical examiner has been arrested on charges of keeping human remains in a rented storage unit in the Florida Panhandle.
Dr Michael Berkland was arrested yesterday on charges of improper storage of hazardous waste, keeping a public nuisance and driving with a suspended license.
He was released on USD 10,000 bail.
Berkland`s attorney says he`ll start preparing his defense next week.
More than 100 crudely preserved brains, hearts and lungs were discovered in a Pensacola storage unit last month.
Authorities say the organs were kept in soda cups and plastic food containers.
The medical examiner`s office in Pensacola says about 10 families have been notified that their relatives` remains were in the unit.
Berkland worked there from 1997 to 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video