US man cites explosives, jet diverts to Maine
Augusta: An American citizen on a flight from Paris to Atlanta claimed to have a fake passport and said he had explosives in his luggage, forcing federal air marshals to intervene and the plane to land in Maine, US officials have said.
The officials, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, believe the man`s passport is authentic.
There were 235 passengers and eight crew aboard the Delta Air Lines Airbus A330, which landed safely just after at 3:30 pm EDT at Bangor International Airport, Delta spokeswoman Susan Elliott said.
Federal officials met the aircraft at the airport. The Transportation Security Administration said the passenger was being interviewed by law enforcement.
Delta, based in Atlanta, is the world`s largest airline and has a joint venture with Air France-KLM on flights across the Atlantic.
Bangor International Airport is accustomed to dealing with diverted flights.
It`s the first large US airport for incoming European flights, and it`s the last US airport for outgoing flights, with uncluttered skies and one of the longest runways on the East Coast. Aircraft use the airport when there are mechanical problems, medical emergencies or unruly passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters