US man gets 20 years in federal sex slave case
Kansas (US): A man was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison on Thursday for holding a young woman captive as a sex slave for six years.
Edward Bagley initially faced 11 federal charges accusing him of enticing an underage girl to be his sex slave, torturing and mutilating her, and allowing others to watch and participate in the torture sessions. In January, he pleaded guilty to one count of using an interstate facility to entice a minor into illegal sexual conduct.
Bagley agreed to the 20-year prison sentence as part of his plea arrangement, a deal his victim says will spare her from having to relive her ordeal in public.
"Even though Ed pleaded guilty, he still hasn`t told the truth," the woman said in court, reading from a statement.
Prosecutors said Bagley, 46, and his wife, Marilyn, recruited the woman to live with them in their trailer in late 2002 and groomed her to become Bagley`s sex slave. The Bagleys have insisted he didn`t have sex with her until she turned 18 and that the often-extreme sex acts were consensual, but prosecutors believe it started years before that and was forced on the woman.
"I had no idea he was going to make it an every-single-night thing," the victim said in court as she gave her statement. "It started bad and got worse and worse."
She described how the Bagleys initially showed her images and videos of people practicing bondage, dominance, sadism and masochism, or BDSM, and told her it was fun. She signed a contract on her 18th birthday that Bagley said made her his sex slave for life.
As part of his sentence, Bagley also agreed to pay about USD 123,000 toward future counseling and medical care for the woman, who`s now 27. Attorneys for Bagley declined to comment after his sentencing today.
The case came to light in early 2009 when the woman, then 23, was hospitalised after what prosecutors said was a torture session. Then-US Attorney Beth Phillips called the case one of "the most horrific ever prosecuted in this district."
Two other men were sentenced in the case today, Bradley Cook and Dennis Henry. Marilyn Bagley and another two defendants — Michael Stokes and James Noel, will be sentenced tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi