US man incorrectly given death diagnosis awarded USD 59k
Washington: A man from Montana, who thought that he would be dead within six months after being incorrectly diagnosed with brain cancer, has been awarded 59,820 dollars for the grief and stress it caused him and his family.
The case began on Jan. 28, 2009, when Mark reached at the Fort Harrison VA Medical Center complaining about acute chest pain.
Mark had a stent inserted and seemed to be recovering well, however, a week later he developed problems with his memory, vision and speech, and started having headaches.
A CT scan showed brain abnormalities, which Dr. Patrick Morrow, an internist at VA, discussed with a neuroradiologist, who told him that Mark could be suffering from a variety of diagnoses, including a brain tumour or a stroke.
Mark sold his truck, quit his job and his family held a last birthday dinner from him and he arranged and paid for his funeral service, his son-in-law made a wooden box for his ashes.
In July, he underwent additional testing at Fort Harrison, and this time a doctor told him that the CT scan showed multiple small strokes, but no brain cancer an MRI in December 2009 confirmed that he had a stroke, not brain cancer that caused his symptoms earlier in the year, Independent Record reported.
US District Court Judge Donald Molloy also ordered the VA to repay Mark for the cost of his last birthday celebration and for the prearranged funeral service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands