US man set for execution found hanged in cell
Cleveland (US): A convicted killer facing execution Wednesday has been found hanged in his cell on Ohio`s death row.
Prison spokeswoman JoEllen Smith says 44-year-old Billy Slagle was found hanging in his cell today at the Chillicothe Correctional Institution south of Columbus. He was declared dead about one hour later.
No other details were immediately provided.
He was sentenced to die for fatally stabling neighbour Mari Anne Pope in 1987 during a Cleveland burglary while two young children were present.
In a rare move, the prosecutor in Cleveland asked the Ohio Parole Board to spare Slagle. Tim McGinty said jurors today, with the option of life without parole, would be unlikely to sentence Slagle to death.
The parole board and Governor John Kasich both rejected mercy for Slagle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach