US man set for execution found hanged in cell
Cleveland (US): A convicted killer facing execution Wednesday has been found hanged in his cell on Ohio`s death row.
Prison spokeswoman JoEllen Smith says 44-year-old Billy Slagle was found hanging in his cell today at the Chillicothe Correctional Institution south of Columbus. He was declared dead about one hour later.
No other details were immediately provided.
He was sentenced to die for fatally stabling neighbour Mari Anne Pope in 1987 during a Cleveland burglary while two young children were present.
In a rare move, the prosecutor in Cleveland asked the Ohio Parole Board to spare Slagle. Tim McGinty said jurors today, with the option of life without parole, would be unlikely to sentence Slagle to death.
The parole board and Governor John Kasich both rejected mercy for Slagle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post