US man set for execution found hanged in cell
Cleveland (US): A convicted killer facing execution Wednesday has been found hanged in his cell on Ohio`s death row.
Prison spokeswoman JoEllen Smith says 44-year-old Billy Slagle was found hanging in his cell today at the Chillicothe Correctional Institution south of Columbus. He was declared dead about one hour later.
No other details were immediately provided.
He was sentenced to die for fatally stabling neighbour Mari Anne Pope in 1987 during a Cleveland burglary while two young children were present.
In a rare move, the prosecutor in Cleveland asked the Ohio Parole Board to spare Slagle. Tim McGinty said jurors today, with the option of life without parole, would be unlikely to sentence Slagle to death.
The parole board and Governor John Kasich both rejected mercy for Slagle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Has somebody blocked you on WhatsApp? Know how to unblock yourself
- Reforms to aid growth; banking sector risks remain: Moody's
- Here's why NASA calls low level of Arctic sea ice the 'new normal' – Watch!
- Watch: This rare video of young Varun Dhawan will leave you astonished!
- Madras Day: These 5 things make Chennai so special