US man set for execution found hanged in cell
Cleveland (US): A convicted killer facing execution Wednesday has been found hanged in his cell on Ohio`s death row.
Prison spokeswoman JoEllen Smith says 44-year-old Billy Slagle was found hanging in his cell today at the Chillicothe Correctional Institution south of Columbus. He was declared dead about one hour later.
No other details were immediately provided.
He was sentenced to die for fatally stabling neighbour Mari Anne Pope in 1987 during a Cleveland burglary while two young children were present.
In a rare move, the prosecutor in Cleveland asked the Ohio Parole Board to spare Slagle. Tim McGinty said jurors today, with the option of life without parole, would be unlikely to sentence Slagle to death.
The parole board and Governor John Kasich both rejected mercy for Slagle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman