US man who spied for China gets sentence slashed
Alexandria: A judge has sharply reduced the
prison term of a former New Orleans furniture salesman
convicted of helping China obtain secret US military
At a hearing on Friday in Alexandria, Judge Leonie Brinkema
cut the prison sentence for convicted spy Tai Shen Kuo from
nearly 16 years to just five years.
That was even better than what defense lawyers sought.
They asked to reduce Kuo`s term to six years.
Prosecutors agreed that Kuo deserved a reduced term
because of his cooperation, but the judge`s decision cut
several more years off Kuo`s prison time than the government
Brinkema said she was motivated partly by the fact that
the information Kuo delivered to Beijing was not significantly
harmful to national security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand