US man who spied for China gets sentence slashed
Alexandria: A judge has sharply reduced the
prison term of a former New Orleans furniture salesman
convicted of helping China obtain secret US military
At a hearing on Friday in Alexandria, Judge Leonie Brinkema
cut the prison sentence for convicted spy Tai Shen Kuo from
nearly 16 years to just five years.
That was even better than what defense lawyers sought.
They asked to reduce Kuo`s term to six years.
Prosecutors agreed that Kuo deserved a reduced term
because of his cooperation, but the judge`s decision cut
several more years off Kuo`s prison time than the government
Brinkema said she was motivated partly by the fact that
the information Kuo delivered to Beijing was not significantly
harmful to national security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Take inspiration from Shilpa Shetty if you wish to lose that post-pregnancy weight!
- Benjam Netanyahu rejects French peace initiative, offers to meet Mahmoud Abbas
- Watch: This self-healing insulator can fix the cracks in all your e-wearables!
- Errors by BCCI selectors: Right squad, wrong spellings!
- IPL 9: Rohit Sharma vows Mumbai Indians will make a strong comeback next season