US Marine jailed for molesting Okinawa woman
Tokyo: A US Marine has been sentenced to four years in prison for molesting and assaulting a woman in Japan’s Okinawa Prefecture in August.
The Naha District Court handed down the sentence to Corporal Iian Tarver, 21, from Camp Zukeran, in line with prosecutors` demands.
Presiding Judge Hideyuki Suzuki said Tarver ‘ignored the human rights of the victim and committed a despicable and violent crime.’
The woman, in her 40s, ‘suffered great mental anguish as she thought she might be killed’, he added.
According to the Japan Times, the judge ruled that the court could not suspend the sentence because the defendant`s motive was ‘self-centred’, leaving no room for leniency.
Tarver pleaded guilty on Tuesday in his first trial session to molesting and assaulting the woman and said he wanted to apologise to her, the report said.
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation - Part II
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- AFC Cup: Mohun Bagan, Bengaluru FC confirm knockout round berths
- Puducherry polls: AINRCs first list of 21 candidates includes CM Rangasamy
- Chopper scam: Willing to come to India and face probe, says AgustaWestland middleman Christian James Michel
- Pro-Afzal event at JNU: Kanhaiya Kumar, others begin indefinite strike against punishment
- Meghalaya CM's wife, Sangma's son file nomination papers for Tura Lok Sabha bypoll