US Marine jailed for molesting Okinawa woman
Tokyo: A US Marine has been sentenced to four years in prison for molesting and assaulting a woman in Japan’s Okinawa Prefecture in August.
The Naha District Court handed down the sentence to Corporal Iian Tarver, 21, from Camp Zukeran, in line with prosecutors` demands.
Presiding Judge Hideyuki Suzuki said Tarver ‘ignored the human rights of the victim and committed a despicable and violent crime.’
The woman, in her 40s, ‘suffered great mental anguish as she thought she might be killed’, he added.
According to the Japan Times, the judge ruled that the court could not suspend the sentence because the defendant`s motive was ‘self-centred’, leaving no room for leniency.
Tarver pleaded guilty on Tuesday in his first trial session to molesting and assaulting the woman and said he wanted to apologise to her, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step