US Marine jailed for molesting Okinawa woman
Tokyo: A US Marine has been sentenced to four years in prison for molesting and assaulting a woman in Japan’s Okinawa Prefecture in August.
The Naha District Court handed down the sentence to Corporal Iian Tarver, 21, from Camp Zukeran, in line with prosecutors` demands.
Presiding Judge Hideyuki Suzuki said Tarver ‘ignored the human rights of the victim and committed a despicable and violent crime.’
The woman, in her 40s, ‘suffered great mental anguish as she thought she might be killed’, he added.
According to the Japan Times, the judge ruled that the court could not suspend the sentence because the defendant`s motive was ‘self-centred’, leaving no room for leniency.
Tarver pleaded guilty on Tuesday in his first trial session to molesting and assaulting the woman and said he wanted to apologise to her, the report said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra