US Marine jailed for molesting Okinawa woman
Tokyo: A US Marine has been sentenced to four years in prison for molesting and assaulting a woman in Japan’s Okinawa Prefecture in August.
The Naha District Court handed down the sentence to Corporal Iian Tarver, 21, from Camp Zukeran, in line with prosecutors` demands.
Presiding Judge Hideyuki Suzuki said Tarver ‘ignored the human rights of the victim and committed a despicable and violent crime.’
The woman, in her 40s, ‘suffered great mental anguish as she thought she might be killed’, he added.
According to the Japan Times, the judge ruled that the court could not suspend the sentence because the defendant`s motive was ‘self-centred’, leaving no room for leniency.
Tarver pleaded guilty on Tuesday in his first trial session to molesting and assaulting the woman and said he wanted to apologise to her, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- BCCI for transparency in awarding IPL media rights
- Cow vigilantism? Two Dalits thrashed in Gujarat for refusing to clear carcass of calf
- 'Arvind Kejriwal fooling people of Goa by making tall promises'
- Kashmir like volcano about to erupt, says AK Antony
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar clarifies on Nehru, Patel gaffe - Here's what he said