US Marine jailed for molesting Okinawa woman
Tokyo: A US Marine has been sentenced to four years in prison for molesting and assaulting a woman in Japan’s Okinawa Prefecture in August.
The Naha District Court handed down the sentence to Corporal Iian Tarver, 21, from Camp Zukeran, in line with prosecutors` demands.
Presiding Judge Hideyuki Suzuki said Tarver ‘ignored the human rights of the victim and committed a despicable and violent crime.’
The woman, in her 40s, ‘suffered great mental anguish as she thought she might be killed’, he added.
According to the Japan Times, the judge ruled that the court could not suspend the sentence because the defendant`s motive was ‘self-centred’, leaving no room for leniency.
Tarver pleaded guilty on Tuesday in his first trial session to molesting and assaulting the woman and said he wanted to apologise to her, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad