US marks 9/11 sans politicians at ground zero
Washington: Eleven years after terrorist attacks destroyed New York World Trade Center`s twin towers, thousands gathered Tuesday at ground zero and elsewhere to mark the traumatic event in sombre ceremonies sans politicians.
In the midst of a heated election campaign, both President Barack Obama and his Republican challenger Mitt Romney have decided to steer away from any political talk in a simple gesture of homage to the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
Obama has scheduled a moment of silence at the White House and a trip to the Pentagon, the target of one of four planes al Qaeda hijacked 11 years ago.
Romney, meanwhile, is set to address the National Guard, whose members deployed as part of the US response to the attacks.
Vice President Joe Biden, who grew up in Scranton Pennsylvania, is expected to attend a memorial service at Shanksville in the same state where 40 passengers aboard United Flight 93 were killed when that plane crashed as they revolted against their hijackers.
At the Pentagon outside of Washington, where more than 180 were killed when a hijacked plane was flown into it, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta will speak in a ceremony that will be closed to the public, attended only by victims` families.
In previous years, politicians including presidents, state governors and New York City mayors have participated in the reading of the names, or have read from the Bible or recited passages from literature, at commemoration ceremonies in the United States.
This year, only the families of the more than 2,750 who were killed when militant Islamist hijackers crashed two jetliners into the World Trade Center`s Twin Towers, causing their collapse, will appear on the podium to read their names.
Six years since construction began the tower known as 1 WTC will soon surpass the height of the Empire State Building`s roof. It is scheduled for completion in 2014, with 90 floors and 3 million square feet.
"US Struggles With How To Remember 9/11" said USA Today commenting on the low key ceremonies this year noting that while the "attacks still elicit sadness, anxiety and anger for many" most Americans according to a new American Pulse Survey "have moved on".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!