U.S. marshals, police wounded, fugitive dead in NYC gunfight
New York: Two U.S. marshals and a New York police detective were wounded and a fugitive wanted on sex abuse charges was killed in a shootout in the city`s upscale Greenwich Village neighborhood on Monday, authorities said.
The detectives tracked 32-year-old Charles Mozdir, who was recently featured on a TV show about fugitives, to the Smoking Culture smoke shop where he worked and attempted to arrest him on child molestation charges filed in the San Diego, California, area, NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton told a news conference.
Mozdir opened fire in the tiny store. The three officers were injured and Mozdir was killed. Police recovered a .32 caliber handgun from the scene and 20 additional bullets from Mozdir`s pockets, Bratton said.
Mozdir was recently on CNN`s "The Hunt" reality television show with former "America`s Most Wanted" host John Walsh, which sets out to catch fugitives, said U.S. Marshals spokeswoman Lynzey Donahue.
The U.S. Marshals Service worked on "The Hunt" in Mozdir`s case, Donahue said.
The wounded law enforcement agents were hospitalized and in stable condition Monday evening, Bratton said. One was wounded below his bullet proof vest, one was injured on the elbow, and the last suffered a wound to his buttocks.
Bratton said that a bullet-proof vest worn by one of the detectives caught a slug before it could penetrate his body, saving his life. He did not provide identities for the agents, pending notification of family members.
Greenwich Village, a wealthy neighborhood called home by celebrities and students attending New York University, rarely experiences violent crime. No shootings had been reported in the neighborhood this year, as of last Sunday, according to police statistics.
Bratton declined to provide any specific information on the case against Mozdir, how he was tracked, or more details on the firefight, citing the ongoing investigation by the NYPD and the U.S. Marshals Service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India