US may speed up drawdown of troops from Iraq: Gates
Aboard A US Military Aircraft: The United States may speed up the drawdown of US troops from Iraq, US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said on Wednesday after a surprise visit to the war-scarred country.
"The pace of the drawdown of US troops from Iraq may be
accelerated. Security conditions are improving in Iraq," Gates
told reporters travelling with him from Iraq to Turkey.
The defence secretary spoke after meeting Massud Barzani,
president of Iraq`s autonomous Kurdish region, following talks
on Tuesday with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in
He urged the feuding Iraqi Arab and Kurdish leaders to
settle their differences peacefully or risk plunging the
country back into violence.
"He reminded his hosts that we have all sacrificed too
much in blood and treasure to see the gains of the last two
years lost to political differences," his press secretary
Geoff Morrell said after Gates`s meeting with Barzani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city