US` message was confusing: Egyptian FM
Cairo: Egypt`s foreign minister has said he was furious at what he described as "confusing" messages from the United States in the early days of Egypt`s protests.
In an interview on Tuesday with `PBS NewsHour`, Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit said the Obama administration`s message is now "much better" because he believes it understands that abrupt change will lead to chaos.
Anti-government protesters want President Hosni Mubarak to resign immediately, but he has said he plans to finish his term this year and then not stand for re-election.
The White House says it wants an orderly transition in Egypt, but has worked aggressively to erase conflicting messages on Egypt that have frustrated even President Barack Obama.
Aboul Gheit said US statements, delivered in the first four or five days of the crisis, that change should happen "now" were unhelpful and disregarded Egyptian sensitivities, according to an interview transcript.
"I think we now have an administration that understands exactly the difficulties of the situation and the dangers and the risks that are entailed in a rush towards chaos without end," he said. "So the administration`s message now is much better."
In Washington, State Department spokesman PJ Crowley suggested Aboul Gheit should not be taken aback by some longtime US calls for democratic reform, including repeal of an emergency law that expands police powers and restricts the right to assemble.
"With all due respect to the foreign minister, he should not be amazed — if that`s the word that he used — at our call for rescinding the emergency law," Crowley said at a news briefing. "We have been calling for that for years, if not decades."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...