US: Mexican drug cartel smuggling ring dismantled
Washington: US authorities have smashed a
70-member drug trafficking ring linked to Mexico`s powerful
Sinaloa cartel, responsible for smuggling over USD 33 million
worth of narcotics each month into the country recent years.
The massive take-down of the drug trafficking network
included arrests of Mexican and US suspects who allegedly
smuggled more than 330 tonnes of illegal narcotics a year
through the deserts in Arizona, officials from the Immigration
and Customs Enforcement said.
More than 20 federal, state and local law enforcement
agencies were involved in the 17-month multi-agency
investigation called `Operation Pipeline Express`.
Speaking at a news conference yesterday in Phoenix, law
enforcement officials said the organisation was responsible
for smuggling more than USD 33 million worth of drugs a month.
"Today, we have dealt a significant blow to a Mexican
criminal enterprise that has been responsible for poisoning
our communities with the distribution of millions of dollars`
worth of marijuana, cocaine and heroin," Arizona Attorney
General Tom Horne said.
"I find it completely unacceptable that Arizona
neighbuorhoods are treated as a trading floor for narcotics."
Officials say the ring, organised around cells based in
the Arizona communities of Chandler, Stanfield and Maricopa,
used backpackers and vehicles to move loads of marijuana and
other drugs from the Arizona-Mexico border to a network of
"stash" houses in the Phoenix area.
After arriving in Phoenix, the contraband was sold to
distributors from multiple states nationwide, it was reported.
Law enforcement officials seized thousands of pounds of
marijuana, cocaine and heroin in a series of raids. They also
seized more than 100 weapons, including multiple assault
rifles and ammunition.
Authorities say the organisation has been around for at
least five years.
Officials say they "conservatively estimate the ring has
smuggled more than 3.3 million pounds of marijuana, 20,000
pounds of cocaine and 10,000 pounds of heroin into to the US,
generating almost USD 2 billion in illicit proceeds."
The drugs were smuggled from Mexico across the border
into Arizona by air and ground transportation using a variety
of sophisticated techniques, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi