US: Mexican drug cartel smuggling ring dismantled
Washington: US authorities have smashed a
70-member drug trafficking ring linked to Mexico`s powerful
Sinaloa cartel, responsible for smuggling over USD 33 million
worth of narcotics each month into the country recent years.
The massive take-down of the drug trafficking network
included arrests of Mexican and US suspects who allegedly
smuggled more than 330 tonnes of illegal narcotics a year
through the deserts in Arizona, officials from the Immigration
and Customs Enforcement said.
More than 20 federal, state and local law enforcement
agencies were involved in the 17-month multi-agency
investigation called `Operation Pipeline Express`.
Speaking at a news conference yesterday in Phoenix, law
enforcement officials said the organisation was responsible
for smuggling more than USD 33 million worth of drugs a month.
"Today, we have dealt a significant blow to a Mexican
criminal enterprise that has been responsible for poisoning
our communities with the distribution of millions of dollars`
worth of marijuana, cocaine and heroin," Arizona Attorney
General Tom Horne said.
"I find it completely unacceptable that Arizona
neighbuorhoods are treated as a trading floor for narcotics."
Officials say the ring, organised around cells based in
the Arizona communities of Chandler, Stanfield and Maricopa,
used backpackers and vehicles to move loads of marijuana and
other drugs from the Arizona-Mexico border to a network of
"stash" houses in the Phoenix area.
After arriving in Phoenix, the contraband was sold to
distributors from multiple states nationwide, it was reported.
Law enforcement officials seized thousands of pounds of
marijuana, cocaine and heroin in a series of raids. They also
seized more than 100 weapons, including multiple assault
rifles and ammunition.
Authorities say the organisation has been around for at
least five years.
Officials say they "conservatively estimate the ring has
smuggled more than 3.3 million pounds of marijuana, 20,000
pounds of cocaine and 10,000 pounds of heroin into to the US,
generating almost USD 2 billion in illicit proceeds."
The drugs were smuggled from Mexico across the border
into Arizona by air and ground transportation using a variety
of sophisticated techniques, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics