US military aid to Egypt has stopped: Senate aide
Washington: The United States has halted military aid to Egypt, a Senate aide said on Tuesday, describing what would be a rebuke of the once stalwart US ally`s crackdown on Islamist opponents and the military ouster of its president. Obama administration officials immediately rejected the claim.
David Carle, an aide to Senator Patrick Leahy, a Democrat, said his Senate Appropriations foreign operations subcommittee has been informed the "transfer of military aid was stopped" amid ongoing Egyptian security operations against the Muslim Brotherhood supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.
"This is current practice, not necessarily official policy, and there is no indication of how long it will last," Carle said.
Obama administration officials said they were reviewing US aid to Egypt in light of the military`s July 3 overthrow of the democratically elected president and the violent confrontations between security forces and demonstrators that have left almost 1,000 people dead in the last week.
But they say no final decisions have been made, despite State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki`s disclosure yesterday that Washington still hasn`t delivered some USD 585 million, almost half the annual military aid package, for fiscal year 2013.
"There has been no decision to halt or to suspend assistance to Egypt," Pentagon spokesman George Little said today.
Another US official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he wasn`t authorized to discuss the issue publicly, said American companies are still being paid for Egypt aid programs and "nothing has stopped."
The administration also plans to spend all of the remaining military assistance money before the September 30 end of the fiscal year, said the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir