US military base sex scandal: Air Force instructor gets 20 yrs sentence
San Antonio: An Air Force instructor in Texas has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for rape and sexual assault in a sweeping sex scandal that has rocked one of the busiest military training centres in the US.
A military jury at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio found Staff Sgt Luis Walker guilty on Friday on charges that included rape, aggravated sexual contact and multiple counts of aggravated sexual assault.
The same jury decided his punishment on Saturday.
Walker is among 12 Lackland instructors investigated for sexual misconduct with female trainees. Six have been charged.
Lackland is where all Air Force recruits go through basic training. It has about 475 instructors for about 35,000 airmen who graduate every year. While one in five recruits is female, most instructors are male.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video