US military chief in Israel to discuss Iran nukes
Jerusalem: The top US general, visiting
Israel at a delicate and dangerous moment in the global
standoff with Tehran, is expected to press for restraint amid
fears that the Jewish state is nearing a decision to attack
Iran`s nuclear programme.
Thursday`s arrival of Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, just four
months after he took office as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff, underscores Washington`s concern about a possible
Israeli military strike.
It also spotlights key questions at the center of the
global maneuvering to prevent an Iranian bomb:
How effective are the current economic sanctions in
pressuring Iran`s leadership? Israel wants a far tougher
regime, while the Americans seem confident the current path
Could aerial bombardment or missile strikes, the expected
Israeli military toolkit, damage nuclear installations deep
underground enough to be worth a counterstrike from Iran? Some
think Israel is mainly saber-rattling to scare governments
into tougher sanctions.
Might covert activity suffice Iranian scientists and
military officials have been killed, computer viruses
unleashed, a missile base blown up. Finger-pointing and
denials abound; evidence about who`s behind it all does not.
Could Israel really surprise Washington, its main ally
and protector, with a military move that could affect America
itself, in an election year to boot. Israeli officials have
not pledged to give advance warning.
In the background, rarely openly discussed, is the
somewhat prickly relationship between the Obama administration
and the rightist government in Israel. The antipathy, born
largely of disagreements on the Palestinian front, may not be
helping navigate a situation as delicate as Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state