US military personnel deployed to Niger on support mission
Washington: President Barack Obama has stated that about 100 US military personnel have been deployed to the west African nation of Niger.
In a letter to Congress, Obama says that the forces will focus on "intelligence sharing" with French troops fighting Islamist militants in neighbouring Mali.
The letter adds that American forces have been deployed with weapons "for the purpose of providing their own force protection and security".
The US and Niger have signed an agreement last month spelling out legal protections and obligations of Americans who might operate from the African nation. But US officials had declined at the time to discuss specific plans for a military presence there.
The Pentagon is also considering plans to base unarmed spy drones in Niger to boost its surveillance capabilities in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video