US military to ‘discipline’ 9 soldiers for role in outrageous Afghan incidents
Washington: The US military is expected to discipline nine service members on Monday. The move comes in connection with two incidents that sparked widespread outrage in Afghanistan, including the burning of copies of the Quran, Islam’s holiest book, at one of the country’s largest military bases.
According to the Wall Street Journal, other than the Quran incident, service members will also be disciplined after four Marines were seen urinating on dead militants in a video. The punishment, which does not include criminal charges or jail term, falls far short of Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s calls for a public trial, the report said.
According to the report, the investigation also found that a lack of trust between the US and Afghans at the base fed the errors. The incident sparked days of nationwide riots that left more than three-dozen people, including two US soldiers, dead. Afghan officials said the burning of the Qurans, showed the cultural ignorance and insensitivity of US forces.
According to the report, in addition to disciplinary action against the Marines in the video, the Corps is also taking action against the officers in charge of the unit, according to three military officials.
The punishments against the Marines, and likely for the Army soldiers, are expected to be career-ending, blocking service members from re-enlisting, officials said. American officials decided to release the two investigations at the same time in an effort to contain any possible protests against the disciplinary actions, the report added.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today