US military unveils new non-lethal weapon
Moscow: The US military has developed a new non-lethal weapon that makes people feel they are burning when struck by the beam it emits, a media report said Monday.
The weapon, dubbed the Active Denial System (ADS), uses a millimetre wave beam and has a range of 1,000 metres. It was demonstrated to senior US military staff at a base in Quantico, Virginia, last week.
The beam only penetrates 1/64 of an inch into the skin and is considered to be completely safe, despite the fact that its power is 100 times higher than that of a regular microwave.
"The military says they`ve done over 11,000 exposures on people with only two injuries," the DailyTech reported.
According to the US Department of Defence Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate, "it could be used across the military spectrum of operations, perimetre security, crowd control, entry control points."
The ADS has been in development for 15 years, and it was briefly deployed in Afghanistan but never used in combat, the DailyTech said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav