US military unveils new non-lethal weapon
Moscow: The US military has developed a new non-lethal weapon that makes people feel they are burning when struck by the beam it emits, a media report said Monday.
The weapon, dubbed the Active Denial System (ADS), uses a millimetre wave beam and has a range of 1,000 metres. It was demonstrated to senior US military staff at a base in Quantico, Virginia, last week.
The beam only penetrates 1/64 of an inch into the skin and is considered to be completely safe, despite the fact that its power is 100 times higher than that of a regular microwave.
"The military says they`ve done over 11,000 exposures on people with only two injuries," the DailyTech reported.
According to the US Department of Defence Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate, "it could be used across the military spectrum of operations, perimetre security, crowd control, entry control points."
The ADS has been in development for 15 years, and it was briefly deployed in Afghanistan but never used in combat, the DailyTech said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report