US military unveils new non-lethal weapon
Moscow: The US military has developed a new non-lethal weapon that makes people feel they are burning when struck by the beam it emits, a media report said Monday.
The weapon, dubbed the Active Denial System (ADS), uses a millimetre wave beam and has a range of 1,000 metres. It was demonstrated to senior US military staff at a base in Quantico, Virginia, last week.
The beam only penetrates 1/64 of an inch into the skin and is considered to be completely safe, despite the fact that its power is 100 times higher than that of a regular microwave.
"The military says they`ve done over 11,000 exposures on people with only two injuries," the DailyTech reported.
According to the US Department of Defence Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate, "it could be used across the military spectrum of operations, perimetre security, crowd control, entry control points."
The ADS has been in development for 15 years, and it was briefly deployed in Afghanistan but never used in combat, the DailyTech said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- Kangana Ranaut flies to US to prepare for role in 'Simran'
- CIL strike: Government open to discussions, says Power Minister
- Khans of Bollywood hungry to do different roles: Shoojit Sircar
- Government may advance Parliament session to get GST laws approved
- Terrorist Burhan Wani's father stayed at Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's Art of Living ashram for 2 days? Here is why