US mom, 5 kids survive Kenya mall attack
Nairobi: American Katherine Walton grabbed her three young daughters and dove to the mall`s tiled floor. Later, a terrorist gunmen skinny, small, with a huge gun looked into Walton`s eyes but didn`t shoot. She and the girls, as Walton put it, were hiding in plain view, yet they weren`t seen.
It was likely the gunmen knew the family`s location: The 13-month-old frequently cried. But after four hours on the floor a period long enough that the 4- and 2-year-old broke the tedium by playing with their mom`s phone Walton and her daughters were saved by a group of responders that included a Muslim man who is the son of a former Kenyan government security minister.
The terrorists must have seen the three girls, Walton said. "I don`t know how they couldn`t have heard," she said. "My 13-month-old, every time the bullets started going, she screamed and screamed and screamed, and the sound echoed and echoed and echoed." Two women hiding with them "were saying, `Make her be quiet.`"
Walton whose two sons were elsewhere in the mall during the attack, and also escaped, credits her God for protecting her family.
"I know that he did, because how could we have been so in plain view and not to have been seen?" Walton told The Associated Press. "One of the more intense thoughts was this voice inside my head: `They`re not here to hurt you.`"
Looking for a weekend escape, Walton took her five children Blaise, 14; Ian, 10; Portia, 4; Gigi, 2; and Petra 13 months to Westgate Mall, which hosts a toy store and was holding a kids cooking competition when armed gunmen burst in just after noon last Saturday, the start of a four-day attack that killed more than 60 shoppers.
Walton saw three attackers. They had scarves around their necks and were wearing tan or grey khaki clothing. None was large, but all were carrying enormous guns, a "comical" juxtaposition, she said. Their skin wasn`t dark, as one might associate with most Kenyans, but she wasn`t sure if they were Somali. They spoke English with heavy accents not Kenyan English, but not an accent she could place. In her mind, they were not local.
As the 38-year-old lay on the floor, bullets whizzed overhead. Two attackers walked into the Nakumatt department store near where the family was hiding, but didn`t walk far enough to see them behind the temporary sales display where they had taken cover. Later, one terrorist on a higher floor looked down over the mall`s open atrium and locked eyes with Walton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27