US monitoring Myanmar on N Korea sanctions: Envoy
Bangkok, Aug 21: A top US diplomat said on Friday
Washington was monitoring Myanmar`s stated commitment to
enforcing UN sanctions on North Korea, after reports of
possible nuclear cooperation between the Asian nations.
Last month US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton hailed a
pledge by military-ruled Myanmar to abide by a UN resolution
on the sanctions, following a rare meeting between US and
Myanmar officials at an Asian summit.
But reports in recent weeks have said that Pyongyang is
helping Myanmar to build a secret nuclear reactor and
plutonium extraction plant, and to build an atomic bomb within
five years, causing regional concerns.
"The Burmese government did make a commitment during the
course of the ARF (Association of Southeast Asian Nations
Regional Forum) meetings in Phuket to implement the
resolution," Ambassador Philip Goldberg, the US coordinator
for the implementation of recent UN sanctions on Pyongang,
said in Bangkok.
"We hope and expect that that will be the case but it is
something that will require further discussion," he told
reporters. US officials refer to Myanmar by its former name,
Goldberg was in Bangkok as part of an Asian trip aimed at
strengthening support for the UN Security Council resolution
passed in July in response to North Korea`s May 25 underground
nuclear test and subsequent missile firings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning