US mulling blocking renewal of UN mission in Syria
Washington: The United States is planning to block the renewal of a UN observer mission in Syria if the Security Council doesn`t go ahead with its threat to impose economic sanctions against Damascus to stop the latter’s violent suppression of a growing insurgency.
According to a report, the UN mission of 300 observers expires on July 20 and needs US support for the council to extend it.
The West agrees with a Russian draft resolution that supports envoy Kofi Annan`s six-point peace plan, and an agreement between the West and Russia in Geneva this month, that calls for a political transition with elements of both the government and the opposition.
According to Fox News, while Britain, Germany, France and the US agree with the downsizing of the mission, they also insist the resolution extending it should also threaten economic sanctions against Damascus to get it to agree to Annan`s peace plans.
"The problem with the Russian draft is that it has no teeth,” the report quoted French Ambassador Gerard Araud, as saying.
“We want to have the Annan plan and the Geneva agreement supported by the threat of sanctions, if the [plans] are not implemented in the coming days and weeks,” the diplomat added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement