US: Muslim woman asked to remove niqab by security
Washington: A Muslim woman has revealed her horror after being asked to remove her niqab by a security guard in a New Jersey mall.
The woman, Wakeelah Salaam, born in the US and raised as Muslim, said that she was shocked after the same security guard approached her twice to ask her to remove the niqab in Bridgewater Commons Mall.
"He said, Maam, Im telling you, you cannot wear that mask in here," the New York Daily News quoted Salaam as saying.
Salaam said she felt so uncomfortable that she finally called up the police and left the mall after talking to them.
"He came as close to me as though he was going to kiss me," she said, adding, "and then he made the hand gesture like he was going to lift it up for me".
She said she’s worn the niqab to court and to visit a relative in prison without complaint, so was surprised by the security guards actions.
Later, an executive from the company that runs security at the mall called Salaam to apologise.
Salaam said that she appreciated the apology, but would not go the same mall in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!