US: Muslim woman asked to remove niqab by security
Washington: A Muslim woman has revealed her horror after being asked to remove her niqab by a security guard in a New Jersey mall.
The woman, Wakeelah Salaam, born in the US and raised as Muslim, said that she was shocked after the same security guard approached her twice to ask her to remove the niqab in Bridgewater Commons Mall.
"He said, Maam, Im telling you, you cannot wear that mask in here," the New York Daily News quoted Salaam as saying.
Salaam said she felt so uncomfortable that she finally called up the police and left the mall after talking to them.
"He came as close to me as though he was going to kiss me," she said, adding, "and then he made the hand gesture like he was going to lift it up for me".
She said she’s worn the niqab to court and to visit a relative in prison without complaint, so was surprised by the security guards actions.
Later, an executive from the company that runs security at the mall called Salaam to apologise.
Salaam said that she appreciated the apology, but would not go the same mall in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Herschel beams back exquisite image of newborn stars! - See pic
- Dutch coach Danny Blind flays Man Utd over Van Gaal sacking
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma again spotted together: Reports
- Maharashtra Board HSC Examination Results 2016: (maharesult.nic.in) MSBSHSE Class 12th Result 2016, Maharashtra Board Plus two Result to be declared on May 25 (today)
- Six more arrested for attack on Punjab spiritual leader Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwale