US: Muslim woman asked to remove niqab by security
Washington: A Muslim woman has revealed her horror after being asked to remove her niqab by a security guard in a New Jersey mall.
The woman, Wakeelah Salaam, born in the US and raised as Muslim, said that she was shocked after the same security guard approached her twice to ask her to remove the niqab in Bridgewater Commons Mall.
"He said, Maam, Im telling you, you cannot wear that mask in here," the New York Daily News quoted Salaam as saying.
Salaam said she felt so uncomfortable that she finally called up the police and left the mall after talking to them.
"He came as close to me as though he was going to kiss me," she said, adding, "and then he made the hand gesture like he was going to lift it up for me".
She said she’s worn the niqab to court and to visit a relative in prison without complaint, so was surprised by the security guards actions.
Later, an executive from the company that runs security at the mall called Salaam to apologise.
Salaam said that she appreciated the apology, but would not go the same mall in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered