US Muslims join Jews for Christmas Day Mitzvah
Detroit: Many Jews consider Christmas Day
an opportunity to serve their community while Christian
neighbours celebrate their holiday. This year, what`s also
known as Mitzvah Day in southeast Michigan is getting an added
boost from Muslims.
For the first time, about 40 Muslims are expected to
join 900 Jews for what they call their largest annual day of
Leaders say it`s a small but significant step in
defusing tensions and promoting good will between the
religions - particularly on a day that is sacred to
Christianity, the third Abrahamic faith.
Mitzvah Day, a nearly 20-year tradition in the Detroit
area also practised in other communities, is so named because
Mitzvah means "commandment" in Hebrew and is generally
translated as a good deed.
The new partnership stemmed from a recent meeting
between members of the Council of Islamic Organisations of
Michigan, the Jewish Community Relations Council and the
Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit - which said it was
unaware of any similar Mitzvah Day alliances.
The Jewish groups organise Mitzvah Day, which consists
of volunteers helping 48 local social service agencies with
tasks such as feeding the hungry and delivering toys to
children in need.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof