US must be removed from Islamic world: Khamenei
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Sunday called on Muslims to "remove" the United States from the Islamic world.
"The main problem in the Muslim world is the presence of the United States. It is the biggest problem. We need to address that," he told a gathering of Shi’ite and Sunni scholars in Tehran for an international conference on Islam.
"It is necessary to remove the United States from the Islamic world," the all-powerful cleric and Islamic republic`s commander-in-chief said, adding that the country`s arch-foe was currently weak.
Khamenei urged Muslims worldwide to preserve the "people`s movement in Egypt”, saying it was the duty of both the people and dignitaries of Arab nations and the entire Islamic community.
He reiterated that the Arab revolts were "Islamic" and must be consolidated.
"The enemies try to say that the popular movements in Egypt, Tunisia and other nations are un-Islamic, but certainly these popular movements are Islamic and must be consolidated," he said.
On February 04, in his Friday prayer sermon, Khamenei called for an Islamic regime to be installed in Egypt, a week before that country`s strongman Hosni Mubarak was ousted.
Iran said it supported the uprising in Egypt.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference