US must guarantee rights of foreign citizens: Russia
Moscow: Moscow expects the US to guarantee the rights of Russian citizens during operations against terrorism, the Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
"We hope (the US) will guarantee non-violation of the rights of Russian citizens and other countries` nationals during anti-terrorist operations," Xinhua quoted the ministry`s envoy for human rights, democracy and supremacy of law Konstantin Dolgov as saying.
He said the topic had been constantly raised during bilateral contacts.
The leaks by former US spy agency contractor Edward Snowden revealed Washington used its legislation exterritorialy, harming citizens of many countries, including Russians, Dolgov said.
As an active user of iPhone and iPad, the diplomat said he would not be happy the US secret services tap his communications.
"The fight against terror should not damage human rights," Dolgov said.
If the US imposed sanctions against Moscow for alleged human rights violations, Moscow would retaliate, Dolgov warned.
"The measures will be not necessarily similar but adequate," he said.
The US Department of State published the Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2012 in which Washington slammed Moscow for its handling of human trafficking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu