Seoul: The United States and North Korea are
likely to hold a second round of talks this month to try to
revive international nuclear disarmament negotiations, a South
Korean report said on Sunday.
The meeting may come after a summit between US President
Barack Obama and his South Korean counterpart Lee Myung-Bak in
Washington on October 13, an unnamed senior government
official in Seoul told Yonhap news agency.
Last month the chief nuclear envoys for North and South
Korea met in Beijing for discussions on how to revive
long-stalled six-nation negotiations on the North's nuclear
The inter-Korean discussions came after a meeting between
the two sides in Bali in July which was followed by US-North
Korean talks in New York.
The North abandoned the six-nation forum in April 2009, a
month before staging a second nuclear test which brought
worldwide condemnation and fresh United Nations sanctions.
Now all sides say they want to start talking again,
especially after Pyongyang's disclosure in November last year
of a uranium enrichment programme which could give it a second
way to make atomic weapons.
Pyongyang has repeatedly called for talks with no strings
attached. But South Korea and the United States say it must
show it is serious about giving up its nuclear arsenal in
return for economic, diplomatic and security benefits.
They want the North, before the talks resume, to halt its
uranium enrichment programme, readmit UN nuclear inspectors
and declare a moratorium on missile and nuclear tests,
according to media reports.
First Published: Sunday, October 02, 2011, 16:14