US names first envoy for hostages

 The United States named a senior envoy Friday to work for the safe return of hostages, after criticism of its response to the kidnap and murder of Americans held in Syria.

Washington: The United States named a senior envoy Friday to work for the safe return of hostages, after criticism of its response to the kidnap and murder of Americans held in Syria.

One year ago journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff were killed by the so-called Islamic State, triggering critical debate over Washington`s handling of the crises.

President Barack Obama ordered a review of US policy in hostage cases that led to new protocols for coordinating the national response and helping victims` families.

He has named former senior diplomat Jim O`Brien his "First Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs," attached to the State Department in a coordinating role.

"Jim will be focused on one overriding goal: using diplomacy to secure the safe return of Americans held hostage overseas," Secretary of State John Kerry said. 

"To that end, he will be in close contact with the families of American hostages," he said, in a nod to criticism from Foley and Sotloff`s families that they were kept at arms` length.

Kerry said O`Brien will "meet with foreign leaders in support of our hostage-recovery efforts, advise on options to enhance those efforts, participate in strategy meetings with other senior US policymakers, and represent the United States internationally on hostage-related issues."

The envoy will work with the newly created "hostage fusion cell," which brings together diplomats, CIA spies and FBI agents to handle hostage cases.

O`Brien previously served as a presidential envoy to the Balkans, but has most recently been working for a private strategy group founded by former secretary of state Madeleine Albright.

After Foley`s murder, his family complained the Obama administration had kept them in the dark about developments and had threatened to prosecute them if they sought to pay a ransom.

In July, after a policy review, Obama announced the fusion cell and said families would not be threatened with legal action, but reiterated that it remains US policy to make no concessions to kidnappers.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close