US national security team briefs Obama on Ukraine
Washington: The White House says President Barack Obama is getting regular updates on the situation in Ukraine.
Obama`s national security team is discussing Ukraine at a White House meeting today, the eve of a vote on whether Ukraine`s Russia-leaning Crimea region should secede and seek annexation by Moscow.
Obama and the leaders of other Western nations have denounced the vote as illegal and say they won`t recognise the results.
Earlier today at the United Nations, Russia vetoed a US-sponsored resolution declaring Sunday`s referendum illegal.
Crimea became a flashpoint after Ukraine`s pro-Russia president fled the country last month after months of anti-government protests.
Russia refuses to recognise Ukraine`s new government and has effectively taken control of the Crimea region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore