US national security team briefs Obama on Ukraine
Washington: The White House says President Barack Obama is getting regular updates on the situation in Ukraine.
Obama`s national security team is discussing Ukraine at a White House meeting today, the eve of a vote on whether Ukraine`s Russia-leaning Crimea region should secede and seek annexation by Moscow.
Obama and the leaders of other Western nations have denounced the vote as illegal and say they won`t recognise the results.
Earlier today at the United Nations, Russia vetoed a US-sponsored resolution declaring Sunday`s referendum illegal.
Crimea became a flashpoint after Ukraine`s pro-Russia president fled the country last month after months of anti-government protests.
Russia refuses to recognise Ukraine`s new government and has effectively taken control of the Crimea region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda