US, NATO allies to consider military training for Libya`s security forces
Washington: U.S. officials will be discussing with NATO allies the possibility of establishing a military training mission for Libya`s security forces.
The revelations come from defense officials, as Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel arrived in Brussels for a meeting of defense chiefs.
According to the Washington Post, Libya has struggled to build its military and police forces since rebels aided by a NATO air-bombing campaign overthrew the country`s longtime ruler, Muammar al-Gaddafi, in 2011.
The deteriorating security after the civil war in Libya has become a big concern for Washington, most significantly since the September 11, 2012, attack on U.S. installations in Benghazi.
A senior defense official said the Libyan Government has approached the United States and other countries that participated in the 2011 air campaign asking for help.
According to the report, the official, who conducted the briefing on the condition of anonymity, said the discussions are preliminary.
The official added that if a deal is reached on the training mission, it seems unlikely that it would involve deploying U.S. military trainers to Libya, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?