US Navy breaks down ice camp north of Alaska
Anchorage (Alaska): Cracks in polar sea ice north of Alaska will force the closing of an ice camp supporting a US Navy submarine exercise, the Navy announced Monday.
Ice Exercise 2014 will continue but temporary structures erected as Camp Nautilus about 240 kilometres north of Prudhoe Bay began to come down on Sunday, the Navy said in the announcement issued from Norfolk, Virginia.
All personnel are safe, the Navy said.
The Virginia-class attack submarine USS New Mexico and the Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Hampton were taking part and will continue collecting data and conducting drills until they exit the Arctic for open water, the Navy said.
The exercise began March 17 and was scheduled to conclude March 30. The weather, however, did not cooperate.
A change in wind directions created instabilities in the ice floes on which the camp was erected, the Navy said. The wind changes led to multiple cracks in ice near the camp, which included a handful of buildings.
The cracks prevented the Navy from using airfields to bring in people and equipment.
Problems were made worse by low temperatures and poor visibility that affected helicopter trips and the decision was made to break down the camp.
The USS Nautilus made the first transit to the North Pole under sea ice in 1958.
The Navy has conducted operations under the ice for 50 years and has completed more than 120 Arctic exercises, the announcement said.
The last ice camp was erected in 2011. Among the weekend visitors to the camp was US Sen. Angus King of Maine. He landed Saturday in a single-engine airplane and toured the USS New Mexico, which had burst through polar ice.
King stayed onboard the submarine for 20 hours, observing as it dove to 500 feet and broke back through the ice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read