US Navy has encounter with Iranian jet: Report
Washington: A US military official says the Navy had a close encounter with an Iranian surveillance jet last week in the Gulf of Oman.
The official says the jet buzzed a Navy aircraft carrier, the USS Eisenhower, coming within about 1,000 yards of the ship. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak publicly on the matter, said the April 21 incident occurred in international waters.
The jet was described as a maritime patrol aircraft generally used for surveillance.
The official says, "There was nothing threatening about the aircraft itself or how it presented itself."
The official could not confirm reports by NBC and CBS that the jet made three passes over the Navy ship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him