US Navy redeploys ships in Mideast
Washington: The US Navy has redeployed warships in the Middle East for any potential strikes against Syria, defence officials said on Tuesday.
The destroyer USS Mahan has left the Mediterranean while a battle group of warships led by the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz is on its way to the Red Sea from the Indian Ocean, an official said.
The Mahan is "on its way to Norfolk," the ship`s home port in Virginia, the defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told a news agency.
The departure of the Mahan reduced the number of US destroyers in the Mediterranean to four. Each of the warships is equipped to launch Tomahawk cruise missiles against targets in Syria if ordered to by US President Barack Obama.
The US Navy keeps secret the precise number of Tomahawks on board but most military analysts estimate each ship carries about 45 cruise missiles.
The Pentagon normally keeps three destroyers in the Mediterranean, under the command of the Navy`s Sixth Fleet, with a mission primarily focused on missile defence.
The US military has also sent an amphibious transport ship, the USS San Antonio, to the region. The vessel, with helicopters and several hundred Marines, could be called in for any possible emergency evacuation of US diplomatic missions in the region.
The ship`s deployment comes ahead of the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks.
On last year`s 9/11 anniversary, the US consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi was attacked and the American ambassador killed, prompting criticism that the Obama administration had failed to shore up security beforehand.
The strike group led by the Nimitz aircraft carrier is meanwhile headed from the Indian Ocean to the Red Sea over "the next few days," the official said.
Another defence official said the strike group had "no specific mission other than presence" in the region.
But if called upon, the carrier group would double the arsenal of Tomahawk missiles at Washington`s disposal.
The strike group includes four destroyers, all equipped with cruise missiles, as well as a cruiser, the USS Princeton, which is also armed with the missiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark